Kennedy Center Internships
Kennedy Center Internships Mission Statement
At the nation's premier performing arts organization, the Kennedy Center Internship Program provides a variety of individualized and collaborative learning experiences to enhance career development for the next generation of dynamic, socially-responsive arts leaders. The Kennedy Center Internship Program is defined by experiences that are:
Authentic | High-Quality | Engaging | Inclusive | Diverse
Fall 2016 Applications are due by 11:59 PM on July 22 ,2016About Kennedy Center Internships
The Kennedy Center Collegiate Internship Program offers a broad spectrum of internship opportunities. Our interns are placed with talented teams and experienced professionals who act as mentors and share their expansive knowledge of the performing arts industry.
Applicants must be a rising sophomore, junior, senior or within one year post undergraduate degree to apply for the Kennedy Center Collegiate Program. International applicants are encouraged to apply, however, the Kennedy Center does not sponsor visas, thus applicants will be required to provide proof of visa at time of application.
Kennedy Center Internships Experience
Accepted Kennedy Center Collegiate Interns will participate in a rigorous term of educational and professional experiences designed to prepare them to enter a career in the performing arts industry.
- Placement Projects: Interns complete a series of long-term projects in their individual placements, and are directly supervised by a manager or director in that department. Placement projects and tasks help our interns hone important skills unique to their desired career field.
- KC Class: Interns participate in two alternating KC Classes throughout the term, consistently taught by a team of Senior Leaders at the Center. Each KC Class is designed by Senior Leaders, and includes readings, group work, case study analysis and presentations. KC Classes are intended to mirror an academic setting in a professional environment.
- Informational Seminars: KC Interns attend informational seminars hosted by KC staff at all levels of the institution. Seminars familiarize interns with the many departments and divisions of the Kennedy Center, and demonstrate the breadth and depth of the programming, educational offerings, and other content offered by the Kennedy Center.
- Professional Development Workshops and Networking: Throughout the term, there will be several opportunities for interns to network internally and externally from the Kennedy Center, as well as practice important networking and interview skills. Professional Development Workshops are offered on a variety of topics, including personal digital branding, career path strategy, and networking skills. Interns also participate in speed-networking events, visit other arts and non-profit institutions, and host interns at the Kennedy Center.
- Tours and Events: We love to share all that DC has to offer with our Kennedy Center Interns! Interns going on several museum visits, tour the White House, and get to know DC with their fellow intern class.
Ready to start your application?
Step 1: Get to know our placements
The following are internship placements offered for the upcoming term. Each placement has a specific set of learning objectives and projects, which will inform you what your experience will be like in that placement.
Step 2: Prepare your materials
All applicants must prepare the following materials for submission with your application:
- Unofficial Transcript
- Writing Sample of no more than 7 pages that demonstrates your ability to make a clear and concise argument on a topic of your choosing
- Letter of Recommendation
- Proof of visa (if you are an international applicant)
Step 3: Ready to start your application? Click here.
Fall 2016 Applications are due by 11:59 PM on July 22 ,2016
Frequently Asked Questions
Fall Application Available May 2-July 22, 2016
Fall Term Dates: September 12-December 16, 2016
Spring Application Available: July 25- September 23, 2016
Spring Term Dates: January 23-May 12, 2017