Information and Schedule
"Each class was so different and special. They always left me inspired and excited to improve."
The focus of this program is master classes led by teachers from the major ballet companies performing at the Kennedy Center each season. These classes are typically taught by company members such as ballet masters/mistresses, principal or soloist dancers, company teachers, and, occasionally, artistic directors; instructors are determined by each company. Finalists are selected to attend all classes. Alternates are guaranteed to take at least four. Open Rehearsals are open to dancers plus one guest by RSVP. Limited spots in the additional Contemporary Dance master classes are assigned through a request process with first-come-first-serve priority given for specific classes.
Finalist Fee: $120
Alternate Fee: $60
Attendance at assigned ballet master classes is required. In the case of an unavoidable absence, notification must be provided 48 hours in advance to allow the space to be offered to an alternate. Absences with less notification will be considered unexcused. Two unexcused absences may result in dismissal from the series. No refunds will be given.
Master Class Schedule (Required):
- San Francisco Ballet – Wednesday, October 24, 4-5:30pm
- Ballet West – Wednesday, December 5, 4-5:30pm
- American Ballet Theatre – Wednesday, January 30, 4-5:30pm
- National Ballet of China – Tuesday, February 12 4-5:30pm
- New York City Ballet – Wednesday, April 3, 4-5:30pm
- Mariinsky Ballet – Wednesday, April 10, 4-5:30pm
- Ballet Across America Company TBD – Wednesday, May 29, 4-5:30pm
- Additional Workshop: Master Class and Q&A with a Master Teacher TBD. Wednesday, May 8, 4-6pm
Open Rehearsal Schedule (optional):
- Ballet West’s Nutcracker – Wednesday, December 5, 1:30pm
- American Ballet Theatre – Tuesday, January 29, 1:30pm
- Mariinsky Ballet – Tuesday, April 9, 1 pm
Contemporary Dance Master Classes (For additional fee – limited availability)
- Deborah Colker Master Class – Tuesday, October 16, 7-8:30pm
- Ragamala Master Class – Thursday, November 1, 7-8:30pm
- Matthew Bourne Master Class – Tuesday, January 15, 7-9pm
- Alvin Ailey Master Class – Monday, February 4, 7-8:30pm
- Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Master Class – Tuesday, March 26, 7-8:30pm
- Lucky Plush Master Class – Tuesday, April 30, 7-8:30pm
All Master Classes may be subject to change.
Additional support is provided by the U.S. Department of Education.
Kennedy Center education and related artistic programming is made possible through the generosity of the
National Committee for the Performing Arts and the President's Advisory Committee on the Arts.
The content of this program may have been developed under a grant from the U.S. Department of Education but does not necessarily represent the policy of the U.S. Department of Education. You should not assume endorsement by the federal government.