VSA Intersections: Arts and Special Education Conference
A Jean Kennedy Smith Arts and Disability Program
2018 Conference—Atlanta, GA
August 7-8, 2018
Pre-Conference Capacity Building Workshops
August 5-6, 2018
Through innovative, thought-provoking, and interactive sessions, the VSA Intersections: Arts and Special Education Conference provides professionals in the intersecting fields of arts education and special education the opportunity to share current information in research, practice, programs, and policy, and serve as a leading catalyst for change. This conference brings together educators, administrators, researchers, teaching artists, and more to build new skills, transfer knowledge, network, and, ultimately, help to shape the best practices-improving educational experiences for students with disabilities learning in and through the arts. Registration will open early spring, 2018
Submit to Present!
The VSA Intersections Content Committee is seeking submissions for breakout sessions to take place at the 2018 conference. Sessions presented at the 2018 VSA Intersections Conference should align with the stated priorities below.
Content should be relevant to the field of arts and special education and grounded in evidence. Reflecting the breadth of professionals at work in this field, sessions may address issues of practice, policy, or researchâ€”but ultimately the focus on all sessions should be on improving access to and the quality of arts learning for students with disabilities. Thus, accepted sessions could focus on:
- Instructional practice in arts and special education classrooms (i.e. arts integration in special education classrooms, adaptive arts instruction, etc.)
- Issues or policies affecting students with disabilities and their arts learning (i.e. the effects of trauma on students with disabilities, cultural responsiveness in special education, etc.), and/or
- Rigorous research that contributes to the body of literature in the arts and special education. Research should align with the priority areas described in the Kennedy Center's The Arts and Special Education: A Map for Research.
Sessions should also reflect an understanding of how adult conference-goers learn. VSA Intersections solicits both interactive sessions that provide participants with hands-on learning opportunities and discussion-based or lecture sessions that examine content from a less experiential vantage point. Sessions can be geared toward teachers of school-age students, or can address the needs of administrators who support teaching artists and educators in the classroom. For all sessions:
- The chosen format should align with the content area,
- The amount of time allotted should be appropriate to meet the learning goals, and
- Content should be clearly tailored to the target audience.
Click for more information or to submit a session for consideration at VSA Intersections.VSA Intersections Call for Sessions
Atlanta Marriott Marquis
265 Peachtree Center Avenue
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
We are pleased to announce that the 2018 VSA Intersections: Arts and Special Education Conference will take place at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis in Atlanta, Georgia. The hotel is located in downtown Atlana and is walking distance to many shops, restaurants, and local attractions.
Regular Single and Double Rooms are $174/night.
- Book your hotel room online
- If reserving and accessible hotel room online, please check the "accessible" box located in the personal information section of the guest information page. Please indicate any accessibility accommodations in the "additional requests" text box.
- To book reservations by phone, call: 1-888-855-5701
- If booking by phone, please make sure to mention to the agent that you are with the block reserved for The Kennedy Center or The VSA Intersections Conference.
- Complimentary wireless internet access in guest rooms
- Fitness Studio (fitness room and indoor/outdoor pool)
- Onsite Spa (massage, facials, pedicures and more for additional fee)
- Accessible rooms are available
Please note that these special rates are only available before 5:00 p.m. on Monday, July 9, 2018. Some amenities such as free internet access may only be complimentary if booked under our conference block. Reservations at this rate are limited — we encourage you to book as soon as possible. For more information about the hotel, visit the hotel website.
Funding for the 2017 VSA Intersections: Arts and Special Education Conference is provided by the U.S. Department of Education.
Kennedy Center education and related artistic programming is made possible through the generosity of the National Committee for the Performing Arts and the President's Advisory Committee on the Arts.
The content of this program may have been developed under a grant from the U.S. Department of Education but does not necessarily represent the policy of the U.S. Department of Education. You should not assume endorsement by the federal government.