Information and Schedule
"Each class was so different and special. They always left me inspired and excited to improve."
The focus of this program is master classes led by teachers from the major ballet companies performing at the Kennedy Center each season. These classes are typically taught by company members such as ballet masters/mistresses, principal or soloist dancers, company teachers, and, occasionally, artistic directors; instructors are determined by each company. Finalists are selected to attend all classes. Alternates are guaranteed to take at least four. Open Rehearsals are open to dancers plus one guest by RSVP. Limited spots in the additional Contemporary Dance master classes are assigned through a request process with first-come-first-serve priority given for specific classes.
Finalist Fee: $120
Alternate Fee: $60
Attendance at assigned ballet master classes is required. In the case of an unavoidable absence, notification must be provided 48 hours in advance to allow the space to be offered to an alternate. Absences with less notification will be considered unexcused. Two unexcused absences may result in dismissal from the series. No refunds will be given.
2019-2020 Master Class Schedule (Required):
Finalists are selected to attend all classes. Alternates are guaranteed to take at least four.
- Mariinsky Ballet - October 9, 2019, 4-5:30 p.m.
- Atlanta Ballet - November 26, 2019, 4-5:30 p.m.
- Wendy Whelan - December 5, 2019, 4-5:30 p.m.
- National Ballet of Canada - January 31, 2020, 4-5:30 p.m.
- American Ballet Theatre - February 12, 2020, 4-5:30 p.m.
- New York City Ballet - April 1, 2020, 4-5:30 p.m.
- Scottish Ballet - May 12, 2020, 4-5:30 p.m.
- Bolshoi Ballet - June 3, 2020, 4-5:30 p.m.
2019-2020 Open Rehearsal Schedule (optional):
- Mariinsky Ballet - October 8, 2019, 12:30 p.m.
- Atlanta Ballet - November 27, 2019, 1:30 p.m.
- American Ballet Theatre - February 11, 2020, 1:30 p.m.
- Martha Graham Dance Company - March 5, 2020, 3:00 p.m.
2019-2020 Contemporary Dance Master Classes (For additional discounted fee - limited availability):
- New Adventures - January 20, 2020, 7-8:30 p.m.
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater - February 3, 2020, 4-5:30 p.m.
- Martha Graham Dance Company - March 3, 2020, 7-8:30 p.m.
- A.I.M. - April 30, 2020 - 7-8:30 p.m.
All master classes may be subject to change.
Additional support is provided by the U.S. Department of Education.
Kennedy Center education and related artistic programming is made possible through the generosity of the
National Committee for the Performing Arts and the President's Advisory Committee on the Arts.
The content of this program may have been developed under a grant from the U.S. Department of Education but does not necessarily represent the policy of the U.S. Department of Education. You should not assume endorsement by the federal government.